Winter Storm Warning in NYC and Southern NY State
Active for next 20 hours
Locations: Bronx; Kings (Brooklyn); New York (Manhattan);
Northern Queens; Richmond (Staten Is.); Southern Queens; Southern Westchester
Our Chinatown Clean Streets Ambassadors will be out clearing snow, salting sidewalks /
street crossings, and examining Chinatown for storm damage tomorrow with a full crew.
Heavy snow, strong winds and very cold wind chills expected tonight into Friday afternoon.
Winter Storm Warning now in effect until 1 pm EST Friday.
- Locations: New York City, Northeast New Jersey and Southern Westchester County.
- Hazard types: snow and blowing snow.
- Accumulations: snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches.
- Winds: north 15 to 25 mph with occasional gusts up to 35 mph.
- Wind chills, zero to 10 below zero late tonight and Friday.
- Visibilities: one quarter mile or less at times.
- Temperatures: falling through the 20s tonight and into the teens late tonight into Friday.
- Timing: occasional light snow, becoming a steady wind driven heavy snowfall tonight into Friday morning.
heavy snowfall, and blowing and drifting of powdery snow tonight into
Friday will create dangerous travel conditions and could impact Snow
Plowing operations. Wind chills below zero could lead to frostbite or
hypothermia for anyone exposed to the cold.
Winter Storm Warning means severe winter weather conditions are
expected or occurring. Significant amounts of snow are forecast that
will make travel dangerous. Only Travel in an emergency. If you must
travel, keep an extra flashlight, food. And Water in your vehicle in
case of an emergency.
- Before winter approaches, add the following supplies to your emergency kit:
- Rock salt or more environmentally safe products to melt ice on walkways. Visit the Environmental Protection Agency for a complete list of recommended products.
- Sand to improve traction.
- Snow shovels and other snow removal equipment.
heating fuel. You may become isolated in your home and regular fuel
sources may be cut off. Store a good supply of dry, seasoned wood for
your fireplace or wood-burning stove.
- Adequate clothing and blankets to keep you warm.
overexertion when shoveling snow. Overexertion can bring on a heart
attack - a major cause of death in the winter. If you must shovel snow,
stretch before going outside.
- Keep dry. Change wet clothing
frequently to prevent a loss of body heat. Wet clothing loses all of its
insulating value and transmits heat rapidly.
- Watch for signs of
frostbite. These include loss of feeling and white or pale appearance
in extremities such as fingers, toes, ear lobes, and the tip of the
nose. If symptoms are detected, get medical help immediately.
- Conserve fuel, if necessary, by keeping your residence cooler than normal. Temporarily close off heat to some rooms.
Merchant Info (PreparingYour Business):
owners and property managers should be prepared to address conditions
in front of their properties, including keeping the sidewalk clear of
snow and ice with regular shoveling and salting.
- Increase snow clearing and salting frequency during the storm if your business will be open.
- Placing signs to remind and warn pedestrians passing, entering and exiting your place of business.
What is a Winter Storm Warning?
winter weather event including 1) snow, ice, or sleet meeting or
exceeding locally defined 12 and/or 24 hour warning criteria; or 2) a
combination of snow, ice, or sleet and blowing snow with at least one of
the precipitation elements meeting or exceeding locally defined 12
and/or 24 hour warning criteria. Source: nws.noaa.gov
How To Report Winter Storm Damages
you see any damaged public street lights, trees, plantings, street
signs or other properties within the Chinatown BID due to Winter Storm
Hercules, please call 311 and/or contact our office by 212.346.9288 / firstname.lastname@example.org